Note: this functionality is currently in Beta and is not yet available for all Pros
Now, you can bring in your jobs from either an Excel or .CSV file directly into Housecall Pro. If you're coming from another software that is the most up-to-date source for you, or if you do not use QuickBooks, this will be the option for you.
We can bring in information such as customer information, payment and invoice data, job tags and lead sources, scheduled and completion dates, and much more. Our in product-wizard will walk you through the process of matching your column names to our system, will ensure that everything is formatted correctly, and will give you a chance to correct any errors to ensure that you end up with everything you need in Housecall Pro.
Pros on our MAX plan can work directly with our data import team where they can import your customers, job history, equipment, and price book for you. Our basic transfer option is free. There may an additional cost for exports with multiple files or exports that require additional formatting that is outside the standard transfer scope of work. Please work with your Onboarding advisor to set up an initial consultation call. If you’re itching to get started with importing your customers, you are welcome to follow the instructions below to import on your own.
Prepare your data
Before starting the in-product import wizard, prepare to bring in your data, by:
Exporting your data from your previous software system
Verifying that you have all the required fields
Ensuring that your file is in one of the variety of supported file formats including comma- or tab-separated (.csv, .tsv), Excel (.xls, .xlsx), and others (.xml, and .txt).
You can learn more about how to prepare your data for import here. You do not need to modify your data to match a template. Our system will match your fields to the Housecall Pro fields. If your files require additional formatting prior to upload (merging sheets, combining multiple fields into a single field, etc.) you can consult our Data Formatting Guide for some tips and tricks.
At this time, in Housecall Pro an invoice and a job are the same. If your old software system separated jobs and invoices and now you have different files for jobs and invoices, here’s what you can do:
Choose which file to import: We recommend choosing the file that has the data you want and has accurate balances.
Open a chat using the Blue Bubble in the bottom right-hand corner of your dashboard to request guidance on other ways to approach this scenario.
Upload your data
1. Start by selecting the Import button on the Customers page or on the Settings page.
2. Follow the in-product wizard to decide which source you want to use to bring in your data. Once you choose that you want to bring in your data from a file, select which categories of data you want to import. You can either import both your Customers and Jobs if you have separate files, or you can only import Jobs. If you choose the second option, we will create Customer records for any customers attached to your jobs.
3. Select your file from your computer
4. If you have multiple sheets in one file, you can select the sheet that you would like to import.
5. Our system will ask you to confirm if the first row contains column headers.
6. Our system will then try to map the Housecall Pro field name to the column headers in your file. However, if there are discrepancies (such as in Housecall Pro we have a Company field and in your data you have an Organization field), this is your opportunity to fix so that the data is imported into the correct field. Review each one and click "Confirm Mapping" or change to the correct header name in your file. You can also choose to ignore the column if you do not wish to import it. Once all mappings have been confirmed, click Review.
7. Finally, our system will validate that the data in your file can be imported. If any rows have errors, they will be highlighted in red. You can toggle "Show errors" to see all of the rows with errors. To see what the error is, hover over the value, and type in the adjustment into the field.
8. Once you correct any errors, confirm that you are ready to upload the file.
9. You will receive an email once the import is complete. You can navigate elsewhere in the software and continue to use Housecall Pro. Please do not take actions on any of the data you have imported to Housecall Pro until the transfer is complete and you have verified that you are satisfied with the results.