If you currently have QuickBooks Desktop or QuickBooks Online (QBO) and plan on integrating with Housecall Pro (HCP), take a look at the steps & information below before getting set up.
1. QuickBooks Desktop?
If you currently have a QuickBooks Desktop account, you have 2 options for importing your data into Housecall Pro: switch to QuickBooks Online OR import from a QBO trial.
> Switching to QBO:
- Housecall Pro is able integrate with two types of QuickBooks Online plans: Essentials or Plus. If you don't have a QBO account, chat in for information on our partnership deals!
- To ensure a clean transfer, you'll need to prep your QuickBooks Desktop data before transferring to QBO. Check out the following article for step by step instructions: Transfer From QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online
> Import QuickBooks Desktop Data:
- To bring your customer list, product/service list, and previous invoices into Housecall Pro, you can sign up for a free trial of QBO and follow the instructions in the following article.
- Importing Data from QuickBooks Desktop into Housecall Pro
2. QuickBooks Online Data Prep
> Prep your QBO data before importing to avoid a messy import/transition.
- Check out the following article for step by step instructions on prepping your QBO data: How To Prepare Your QuickBooks Online Data
3. Connect & Import QBO Data
> When you are ready to start using Housecall Pro with QuickBooks Online, you will need to connect the two.
- Follow the steps in the following article to connect QuickBooks Online & Housecall Pro: Connect and Import Your QuickBooks Online Data
- The import will start immediately but may take a few hours, depending on how much data is in your QBO account.
- If the import fails (you should receive an email at the account on file) and you aren't sure as to why, please chat in for assistance.
4. QuickBook Online Errors
> It's not uncommon to see errors after connecting and importing your QBO account data.
- There are a handful of common errors that are easily fixed. Check out the most Common QuickBooks Online Errors to learn how to resolve them.
- How to Dismiss QBO Errors
- Read more about Tax Rate Errors if you received an error for those
5. How the One-Way Integration Works
> HCP is a 1-way integration with QBO. There are 3 times in which HCP pushes information over to QBO:
- When the invoice has been marked 'Finished'
- When the invoice has been marked 'Paid'
- When the invoice has been sent to the customer for payment
Things to keep in mind:
- HCP does not send estimates to QBO (no payment is expected until the estimate is converted to a job)
- HCP updates QBO based on the last copy of the invoice sent. For example, if a job has been marked as finished, it will send to QBO as an unpaid invoice. Once you have taken and marked the payment in HCP, the invoice will be updated in QBO.
6. Moving Forward -- Maintaining QuickBooks Online
> The articles below explain the steps necessary to maintain your QuickBooks Online moving forward.
- When taking cash, check, or other payments, you will need to manually reconcile those payments in QBO
- QuickBooks Online Credit Card Reconciliation Method
- Reconciling Tips in QBO
- HCP Refunds in QBO
- One of the most common errors that is produced during auto-reconciliation in QBO is the Invalid Item Ref error
If you have any concerns or issues with your import, please do not panic, just chat in and our support team will be able to assist you.
QBO Customer support is an amazing resource for learning how to complete tasks such as, matching payments, creating journal entries, and manually reconciling payments over in QBO. If you're in need of QBO support, we highly recommend visiting Quickbooks online customer support.
- Simply click 'Help' in the upper right corner of your QBO Dashboard.
- Type keywords in the search bar OR click 'Contact Us' to start a chat.
Learn more about how Housecall Pro easily integrates with your Quickbooks Online account.